Saturday 14 September 2013

Farewell Charlie

It's been a sad week at our house. Our dear old dog  'Charlie' passed away on Wednesday. He was a gift to our middle son on his fifth birthday. That was over thirteen years ago now. As our youngest said, "I just don't remember a time without him." This photo taken the day we got him.
 
 
 
While he was old, especially for a Cavalier, he still had the energy to run along our front fence just the afternoon before, barking at people as they walked past on their late afternoon walk. Who would have thought he would leave us the very next day?
Despite our son's best efforts, Charlie never mastered fetch. However, he did master a very important skill of walking around any fabric I had laid out on the floor. I don't really remember teaching him this. He just knew...don't walk on the quilt!!

 
 

 

 
 
He came along on many family adventures and spent many Saturday nights sleeping with our son in front of the fire or camping in the backyard with our son and his friends. Of course we are all very sad to loose him, but paricularly heartbreaking for his master. Our son is now a young man and they were good mates over the years as they grew up together.

There's a special bond between a boy and his dog.
 

 
 

8 comments:

  1. Such sad news Raelee. They really are so much more than just pets, more like family members. Try to enjoy the happy memories. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brought tears to my eyes Raelee. He was a truly sweet dog who I will miss when I visit (I will especially miss him serenading us with his snoring lol) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad! I remember those little boys and that oh so cute puppy. Charlie lived a very good life with a family who adored him. Vale Charlie, a very special dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sincerest condolences to all! People who do not have dogs or cats can never truly understand that bond. It appears as though Charlie lived the best life he ever could have simply by being with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww goodbye Charlie 😪

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so sorry to hear about Charlie.
    He was such a lovely dog, and had a wonderful life in your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet dog Charlie was! Please accept my condolences.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog