Friday, 9 August 2013

A Little Bit of Quiting

It's been a while since my last post. So I thought I'd show you the little bit of progress I have achieved in the last couple of weeks on my Flannel Hexie Quilt.

All of the flowers are now quilted and I have started on the borders.

It took a while to work out exactly how to quilt the border. I had a discussion with Susan (as she is quite a clever hand quilter) when we were at Cassilis. That helped me to have something in mind before I started.

Unfortunately, the uneven,
non-symmetrical edge of the flowers did my head in a bit. Even though the borders were cut the same width, once the flowers were appliquéd on, the side borders are slightly narrower than the top and bottom ones. The space between the flowers varies between the top and bottom borders when compared to the ones down each side. 
Not only that, no two corners are the same!!

So, in the end, I made a few plastic template leaves in two different sizes and just used whatever would fit in the space. 
So on the side borders, I have just two sets of leaves in the spaces.

For top and bottom border, I was able to fit four sets, one set slightly smaller than the other.

A corner.

A view from the front.

I am half way round the border and made the binding up last night. So the end is almost in sight.

Tonight I look forward to stitching along with my Mum as my parents are visiting this weekend. I'm looking forward to a relaxing weekend with them.
Hope you have time to relax this weekend too.


  1. Looks like it was worth the headaches.....the leaves work perfectly in your border. Enjoy stitching with your mum.

  2. What a warm and inviting quilt this is going to be! Good for you for taking chances!

  3. It looks fabulous...well done...see Kevin has dropped by!


Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog